|The Fort Phantom Foundation
The primary 22-acre site of Fort Phantom Hill was contributed to the Fort Phantom Foundation in 1997 by Mr. and Mrs. Jim Alexander of Abilene. The site has been open to the public since 1972 and is presently maintained and operated by the Foundation.
The nonprofit Fort Phantom Foundation is supported by grants and by donations from individuals and organizations. Inquiries are welcome.
Visitor Facilities at Fort Phantom Hill
Fort Phantom Hill is open to visitors daily from dawn until dusk. Landmarks are labeled with informational signs, and free brochures about the site are available for visitors. Ample parking is provided, but currently this rustic site offers no public restroom facilities and no drinking water.
However, two public parks are nearby, as well as a country-style convenience store:
Big Country Bait-Grocery Cafe, located about 1.5 miles south of Fort Phantom Hill on FM Road 600 (11250 West Lake Road, phone no. 325/676-9043), offers gasoline, convenience store items, fishing bait, and good country cooking.
Seabee Park and Johnson Park, located on the banks of Lake Fort Phantom Hill, offer public restroom and picnic facilities.
Parts of Fort Phantom Hill are wheelchair accessible, but please remember this is a rustic site. Trails are not paved and are not always level.
The nearest lodging to Fort Phantom Hill is offered by the La Quinta Inn at the corner of Interstate Highway 20 and FM 600 (3501 West Lake Road, 325-676-1676).
Traveling to Fort Phantom Hill
Fort Phantom Foundation
P.O. Box 58 Abilene, Texas 79604